Operator Licence Applications

Applying for a vehicle operators licence? Let the experts help.

Choosing the correct licence is vitally important when it comes to commercial vehicles, the last thing you need as a business is the traffic commissioner to impose suspensions and removals.

To operate any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes gross plated weight or (where there is no plated weight) an unladen weight of more than 1525KG to transport goods for hire and reward or in connection with a trade or business, you will need to have an operators licence in place, this will be issued by the office of the Traffic Commissioner. The Logico team is here to help and assist you with your Operator Licence Applications.

The main purpose of goods vehicle operator licensing is to ensure the safe and proper use of goods vehicles, ensure fair competition through a consistent application of the rules, and to protect the environment around operating centres.

Did you know new rules were introduced to the licensing system in May 2022, Logico will be able to offer expert advice and guidance on these changes.

You will need a licence if you carry goods for hire or reward on international journeys when using a vehicle (or a vehicle combination) with a maximum laden weight of more than 2.5 tonnes.

For a vehicle and trailer combination, you will usually need a goods vehicle operator’s licence if the maximum laden weight or unladen weight of the vehicle and trailer combined exceed 3.5 tonnes (or 2.5 tonnes if carrying goods for hire or reward in Europe).

Types of Operator Licences

For a simple fixed-fee of £250, our experts will go through the application process with you, make sure you’re aware of your legal obligations and responsibilities and provide you with the very best opportunity for a successful licence application.

Restricted licence
  • Allows the carriage of goods, but only on your own account, within Great Britain and abroad.
Standard licence
  • Allows the carriage of goods for hire or reward in Great Britain (permits own account movements in GB and abroad)
Standard international licence
  • Allows the carriage of goods for hire or reward within Great Britain and abroad.

If this sounds just the thing you’re looking for, we can help with the three main type of operator licence.

Want to take us up on the offer or chat to our team further?

The operators licence should be applied for in the name of the person, company or partnership that is the ‘user’ of the vehicle. The user of the vehicle is considered as:

  • You are the driver and owner of the vehicle; or
  • it is in your lawful possession under an agreement for hire, hire purchase or load; or
  • the driver is your employee or agent (i.e. you pay them to drive the vehicle for you).

If you’re struggling to get to grips with the application, our team of experts are here to help.